Saturday, January 21, 2012

Project 1: January

Jennifer:  I found the idea for this block in the book Block Party: The Modern Quilting Bee (Carlton& Lejnieks). I have never made a quilt for my own use so this is going to be the one! For my own projects, I am not a precision quilter, I like to improvise, I like the irregularities that happen from not following a specific pattern. This project is based on the log cabin design.

Color Requests: Various shades of red, green, and yellow, also black and white
Fabric Requests: geometric prints, stripes, plaids, solids, all cotton fabrics


Please  pre-wash all fabrics.


Directions:
1) Start with a 6 inch red square, solid or print.
Begin to add various widths of fabric, two sides at a time with the same fabric:


2) Keep building two sides at a time until you have a 16 inch by 16 inch block:


3) Cut the block into 4 equal sections:


4) Turn the 4 smaller blocks so that the red squares are all facing to the bottom left, add 1 1/2 inch strips to the top and right side of each block. I suggest experimenting with these outside strips before sewing so that the colors of one block do not run into the colors of another block (which can create all new lines and shapes!)


5) When you are satisfied with the colors, sew the blocks together. You will notice that these 4 blocks are not all the same size, I just trimmed bits from the tops and bottoms to make them fit...


6)And there we are! I made two versions. The final size is not a perfect square block...they are both approximately 16 1/2 inches by 17 inches. That is OK! 


PS: The block on the right was my first attempt. Notice the full line going down the middle...the color choices were very similar which created one long line. I like the second attempt on the left better because the black and yellow make two very distinct blocks.


Happy sewing! Have fun! I can't wait to see what you come up with for me!

1 comment:

  1. This looks like a lot of fun. Off to pick out my fabric or see if i need to buy more :P

    ReplyDelete