I had a lot of fun putting this block together, but it was harder than I anticipated. In my bio, I mentioned that I want to expand my ability to use color and ironically, being forced to stick with just one color was a real learning experience.
First of all, there are a LOT of shades of orange in this world! I was very invested in the fussy-cut flower in the lower left corner, so that was my touchstone and kept me from going too pink/peachy or too vivid/neon.
Second, I realized that I've got a serious lack of light fabrics in my stash. Linsay and I discussed this morning the notion that light fabrics often are not very interesting on the bolt -- but once you get them home and start cutting up bits, they're often exactly what you need! Finding a suitable contrast was therefore tough -- I had to go 'dark' and rely on different print sizes. The piece that caused me the most anxiety was the green spiral -- it's more green than orange. But without it, the block really lost some zing and I finally went with what I truly liked and thought worked best.
I hope you like it, Katy!