Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Boy's Nonsense.

A new month and a new block!

This month’s block is called ‘Boy’s Nonsense’.  I have found a tutorial online which gives a very clear explanation.  There are two parts to the tutorial but don’t worry it is a very simple block.  The first part is an explanation of how to choose the tones and the second part is about how to put the block together.

The tutorial has listed the amount of fabric you need to cut for a whole quilt.  I have listed below the amount you will need for 1 block.


I would like half of us to make blocks with light corner triangles and half to make them with dark corner triangles.  

Team A,  Light Corner Triangles
Jennifer, Micalea, Anthea, Katy, Linsay, Stephanie.

You will need the following fabric;

White –   3” x 3”   Cut 2 of these then cut them on the diagonal to make 4 half square triangles.  These are the small triangles at the top, bottom and sides.

Light fabric –   4½” x 4½”   Cut 2 of these and then cut them on the diagonal to make 4 half square triangles.  These are the triangles at the corners of the block.

Mid tone – 5½” x 5½”   This is the centre square, just cut 1.

Dark – 5½” x 2½” Cut 4 of these rectangles.

Team B, Dark Corner Triangles
Amy, Amy, Jamie, Claire, Pam, Donna Jo.

You will need the following fabric.

White –   3" x 3"   Cut 2 of these then cut them on the diagonal to make 4 half square triangles.  These are the small triangles at the top, bottom and sides.

Dark – 4½" x 4½"   Cut 2 of these and then cut them on the diagonal to make 4 half square triangles.  These are the triangles at the corners of the block.

Mid/Dark – 5½" x 5½"   This is the centre square, just cut 1.

Mid tone – 5½” x 2½”   Cut 4 of these rectangles.

Colours

I would like the white to be a crisp white.  It can be tone on tone but try to avoid creams.
Otherwise, you can use any colours you like.  Like Katy, I prefer modern fabrics and I avoid reproduction style prints, especially in browns.  I have loved the use of fabrics with text in them over the last year.  If you want to include one in your block then that would be great.

I haven’t made a demonstration block yet because this month has flashed past very quickly.  As well as moving house, I had my purse (wallet) stolen out of my bag in the supermarket yesterday.  A man asked me a very long question about some meat, then I turned back and looked at my bag which was hanging on the trolley and I thought, ‘I bet someone took my purse’ and they had. Rats! I am sure they were working as a pair. The time that I had set aside yesterday to finish off things like quilt blocks was spent cancelling my bank cards and going to the police station.  I have finished the stack of books block and I will post it this afternoon. 

I am hoping that May will be a bit calmer than April.  I will email my new address.

Happy Sewing Everyone,

Linsay.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Linsay, what a pain for you to deal with the consequences of someone nabbing your purse. I feel your annoyance and frustration.
    But as for your block, how great is that quilt. I love it too. I have previously pinned it to one of my pinterest folders. I am worried about choosing colours for you - "any colour you like" is very broad! You sure you don't want to give me a hint about your preference?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anthea,
      Yes, you are quite right, that is a very broad choice. If you have a selection of greens from your quilt why not choose a mid green, a dark pink and a light blue.
      I always love contrast in a quilt so I like to put opposites together like blue and orange, red and green. I also enjoy the wide selection of fabrics that turn up in all the blocks that arrive in the post.
      If you are still unsure, take a photo of the fabrics and put them on the blog but I am sure that I will be happy with whatever you choose.
      Linsay.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Linsay. I suspect I do like a bit of guidance when making something for someone else.
      I hope you have managed to cancel all your cards in time.
      Anthea

      Delete