Saturday, March 31, 2012

April Block Tutorial






Hi All- I am very excited to host April! I found this square in January and couldn't wait to give it a try. It is is the Octagon Orb Quilt block designed by Elizabeth Hartman of Oh!Fransson by Elizabeth Hartman. She is amazing! I tore into my scraps and came up with this rainbow design which is totally out of the norm for me, but I am really happy with it! I think selecting fabrics took me longer than making the block...


The colors I would like to try and stick with are:
Center and outer triangles- solid white or a white on white fabric
Small ring- reds and oranges
Middle ring- yellows and greens
Outer ring- blues, purples and pinks
Be as scrappy or defined as you like!



If you have any questions, send me an email or comment below and I will do my best to answer! I will send my address out in an email to everyone!


Amy (USA)

7 comments:

  1. Neat-O! Can't wait to get started. I am cleaning up my sewing area now to get ready for this next project. Thanks Amy!! Your sample is gorgeous!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen this block before, it looks great. I can imagine that the finished quilt will look terrific.
    Linsay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm so excited to try this method out!! I can't wait to sift through my fabric to choose the colours. Great project, Amy!! It is going to push me to learn and be more careful...can't wait. And the tutorial is Very helpful..

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my when I first saw this I almost cried...lol However the tutorial is great and I think it should be pretty easy to put together! Can't wait to get started

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a intimidated by this block at first, but the tutorial was so well written that I gave it a try and loved it! I hope you all do too! Another hint I did was to iron all the seams open...this cut down on the bulk in the center. I am so used to ironing to the side that this took some getting used to, but I definitely think it helped with this block. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!!!

    Amy (USA)
    *Ignore the deletion up above...apparently my ability to spell decided to quit working!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Amy! I am loving the diversity of our monthly block projects. This looks like fun and a good chance to play around with colour.

    ReplyDelete