Saturday, April 21, 2012

Sewing Saturday!

Jennifer's Block for Amy

Today I had planned to get Amy's block completed plus work on various other quilting projects. I got started on Amy's block and had so much fun experimenting that it was all I worked on all day and into the evening after dinner! As I mentioned in a blog comment last week, my mom had cut all the pieces I needed for the April project. Once I got started though I realized I wanted to use a bigger variety of fabrics. I got out my box of scraps and I made quite a fun mess!

The final piece...I really love the way it turned out. I truly understand the concept of the quilting bee now...I would never want to have to make 12 of these! Amy, it is going to be such a beautiful quilt, I can't wait to see it finished!

For those of you who have not started yet, there were a couple of things that I thought of that might help you too, if you are new to this like I am...Amy suggested using the template and also a ruler to cut the triangles (fabric, template, ruler). This worked very well for me because otherwise it was easy to cut into the plastic template. The other tip I have is to lightly tape down the template on the fabric before cutting, mine kept slipping otherwise. Good lighting was also important.

And finally, I just wanted to share a new quilt that my mom brought over to me. She made it from fabrics that she bought in Colorado 20 years ago! 


I hope everyone is having a great weekend! This first week back at school after the Easter break was non-stop busy and a bit stressful. I am so glad I have quilting to completely change things around during the weekends!




4 comments:

  1. lovely block!! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I liked reading about your whole process and seeing photos of the steps involved. Thanks for the tip about using the ruler on top of the plastic triangle. That will definitely come in handy. I like how you used 2 of the same fabrics in each triangle and yet the finished product at first glance looked random. The options are endless. Love your finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really like the same fabric either side of your squares, Jennifer. Yes, as you say, Shauna, the possibilities are endless. This style of block is such a celebration of colour!! I'm still in the process of sewing my triangles together but wanted to share that I traced around my plastic template with a pencil and then just cut directly with my ruler. A quilting lady in Melbourne taught me that trick for 'fussy cutting'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer I love the block! You are absolutely correct- I cannot imagine making 12 of these! But I can't wait to put all the blocks together. Using the tape is a great suggestion for holding down the template.
    I found fabric for the backing and binding last weekend. I think I too had the most fun pulling out fabrics and figuring out what to use!
    Thanks again!
    Amy (USA)

    ReplyDelete