Friday, January 31, 2014

February Block for Amy (USA)

Hi All! I hope that 2014 is off to a great start for everyone! I must admit that the end of January snuck up on me and suddenly it is time for me to post a block! Here we go! I am asking for an 8 inch LeMoyne Star Block.


I will be using these blocks to make a quilt for my father. He is a retired Captain from the U.S. Navy Reserved. I found the quilt panel and fabric pictured below. I will use the star blocks to ring the quilt panel to create a quilt for his birthday! 
 
 
The colors I am looking for are reds- deep, but not maroon, navy blues and deep blues, and creams. The fabrics can have small print, marbles or solids. My star has small stars in the blue and cream.
Start by cutting:
Cream - (4)   2 1/2 inch squares
       (4)   3 inch squares
  Red -   (4)   3 inch squares      
Blue - (4)   3 inch squares  

Draw a diagonal line across all the cream and 2 red 3" squares. Pair 2 red and 2 blue squares, 2 red and 2 cream squares and 2 blue and 2 cream squares.

Sew 1/4" on either side of the lines you drew. Press and cut on the line. Press to the darker color. Trim the HST's to 2 1/2" 
 
Layout the blocks as shown and sew together with a 1/4" seam.
I sewed each row together, pressing the seams of each row in opposite directions. This helped to "lock" the blocks together when sewing the rows together. 
Your block should measure 8 1/2". If you have any questions, please let me know!  Thank you!
Amy (USA)




  




3 comments:

  1. I'm always up for a HST challenge Amy, so this will be fun. Time to get rummaging for the right colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to being a part of another family quilt, Amy. The Christmas quilt was such a success, I know your dad will love this one too. I'm sure he never reads our blog so it will definitely be a complete surprise for him! :-)
    xoJennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a classic block and I love traditional piecing. The colours are perfect for making a patriotic quilt for your Dad. I can't wait to get started. Maybe I should be thinking of a Union Jack quilt for my month, now there's a thought.
    Linsay.

    ReplyDelete